5/19/08

Texas

Texas is an interesting place to live. I have never seen so much state pride anywhere as I have in Texas. And I've lived in California which is a state that thinks very highly of itself - in fact it took me moving out of California to realize that there actually were other states. But Texas is totally different - and Texas pride is displayed everywhere. Even at our local McDonald's.

My kiddos eating at McD's... at a table shaped like Texas.
The buffalo decor - and I love that the man who happened to be sitting in front of the buffalo is decked out in Texas attire.
When I first moved here, I just found this McDonald's so fascinating (I know, get a life, Kellie), but it's really a sight to see.
The other thing I love is that you see signs along the road that say, "Don't Mess With Texas". I remember driving in for the first time thinking that it was just some kind of general warning. Surrounded by the biggest pick up trucks I've ever seen all over the place, and crossing the state line to be greeted by Don't Mess With Texas - I thought, "Okay, I won't mess with Texas! I promise!" Now I know that Texans are truly some of the nicest people ever.
Just don't litter - because that's where the phrase Don't Mess With Texas comes from! The signs around the state are part of a littering campaign. You can go to http://www.dontmesswithtexas.org/ and read all about it.

Click this link to see some of the billboard ads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have spent limited time in Texas, but they do seem to have an unnatural amount of pride in their state.:-) As for California, I've spent some time there and you are right on there, too, they are OBLIVIOUS to the fact that they are not the center of the universe.:-) I prefer to be a nomad, and have no strange pride for my homestate (mild pride for alma mater).

Esquire's Wife said...

My favorite signs in Texas are the "Drive Friendly" signs on the highways! Some Mom with toddlers came up with that campaign!