If you haven't heard... this summer we are moving to Korea.
When I tell people that, the most common response I get is, "Wow, that will be such an adventure!" Unfortunately I'm not a very adventurous person. But I'm getting excited about being forced to change that part of my personality. :)
Did I ever think in a million kajillion years that I would live in Korea?? Did I ever think that I would even visit Korea? On that note, ask me 15 years ago, and did I think I would ever move out of California?
The answer is a big fat NO...
And even though I'm trying to stay positive about it (because that's really the best option I have now that it's a reality!), it's hard. I'm not quite there... yet. I'm sad that we'll be so far away. I'm sad that we have to move away from a church and friends here that we are just getting to know. I'm sad that I didn't get my way and get to stay here in our big house and comfy life. I'm sad that we have to spend the next three months stressed out and overly busy jumping through all the military hoops it will take to get there. And I'm getting over this now, but I kept thinking... why me? Why do we have to go to Korea?? Why does everyone else get to go to whatever base they want (not even true)? We already had to go to Minot, for Pete's sake!! Waaah, waaah, waaah!
But then I have to admit to myself that Minot wasn't so bad. That actually, it was good. That in fact, I can now thank God for sending us to Minot. It was a huge time of growth for us as a family. We made deep and lasting friendships. And we learned that life doesn't end just because it's 20 below! But when Dan got the news that we were going to Minot, was I thanking God?? Um, no.
So I have to remember that about Korea. That I may not see it now, but I know that God has something for us there. It's not just that the military needs us in Korea, but I have to trust that God works through the Air Force to send us where we need to be. Even if it's just that I need to be pulled so far out of my comfort zone to know I can depend on Him no matter where I am, and to know that God is absolutely everywhere, even in Korea! That he doesn't just work in the U.S., but He is the God of the universe! Sadly I need these elementary truths pounded into me again and again.
Each move has been a learning experience, preparing us for the next one, teaching us to just trust His plan!
California.
Then Maryland.
Then Texas.
Then North Dakota.
Back to Texas.
Now Korea.
Back to Texas.
Now Korea.
Then I get scared thinking about what's after that? What's a farther stretch than halfway around the world? The moon, maybe?
I'm sure I'll be posting much more on this topic...

1 comment:
I hate that you guys have to go as you will be soo missed here... I sure hope Texas (or wherever else the AF has us next) pops up on your list of places to move to!!
Post a Comment