My little girl is 3!! Wait, maybe that goes into the bad category. Not sure, but we've been telling her that when she's 3 and a big girl, she needs to go poo in the potty and not in her underwear! So today when we told her, "Rayna, you're 3 years old today!" she said in the most excited voice, "Oh, now I can go poo on the potty, cause I'm 3!" Sweet, let's hope that works. By the way Mom, she did wear big girl undies at her party. Friday I decided to give up the pull-ups cold turkey (really just a convenience issue for me), and she's been doing great. Well, at least okay!
More good - She had a birthday party and told me afterward, "Mommy, I had fun with all of my friends at my birthday party!" And believe me, all her friends were there. More on that later. But she was so excited to have her friends over, and had a blast at her "powty".
Yet more good - This week her MDO teacher sent home this sweet note about her:
"Great kid! Uses her manners and takes turns. Takes her time doing art and is very proud of herself when she finishes. Thanks for sharing her with us."
The Bad:
When I saw how many people were coming to Rayna's party, I should have immediately changed the venue from our house to the park! It was a lot of kids (about 2o not including their immobile baby siblings) in humid weather and pizza that took too long to come! So shame on me for not having a little more foresight on that one. It was cuh-razy. I do not mind having people over and having to clean up afterward - that's what we've always wanted to use our house for - to have people in it and build relationships, not to never let anyone in it so it remains perfect and we don't have to clean. We haven't been as good about this since we've had kids, but back to the point here. It was just too many in our small-ish for San Antonio home! More on "the good" - even though I didn't think everyone would be able to come when I was sending out the evite, I am sooo glad they did. We are blessed with many friends (who are blessed with many children) and it was great to have everyone together in one place before we are off to travel the world.
The Ugly:
Why is it that my worst parenting moments seem to happen in front of large groups of people?? Well, I'll tell you one reason - I don't have the energy to put on a show for anyone and be a nicer mom in public than I am in private. What you see is what you get. But what you see is not always pretty. Ugh. And lately the best word I can use to describe myself is a MESS.
So while everyone was here celebrating with us, I felt like I was in all of my- disheveled, ill-prepared, ill-planned, flustered, frustrated with my kids, out of control - glory! Luke was having some serious issues, being 10 times the pill that he ever is, Rayna is fussy always lately (with me anyway), Tessa was great but I had to sit down and nurse her and Dan was away getting pizza. I only fed Tessa partially so I could get up and try to get a game going, while my dear sweet friend Rebecca (who I've never heard have anything but the sweetest tone with her dear children, calm in every situation) held poor, still hungry baby Tessa and Luke started throwing a fit. He didn't like the way the game was being played and didn't understand it, and was holding up the whole thing, and I snapped at him and pushed him aside completely frustrated so I could just deal with the other kids. Then sweet Rebecca (yes, still holding my baby), is sweetly trying to console my Luke who is now crying on the grass and being ignored by his mother. He was being ridiculous, but still.
And I'm writing all this because 1: I hope I'm not alone here. We all have these moments, right? And 2: It's theraputic. Getting it out helps me get over it! I hate the way I am sometimes, especially under stress and lack of sleep. I want to be the mom that has it all together and deals with every situation in a totally reasonable and calm manner. I want to be a better planner so I get more done, and don't always feel like I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off and accomplishing nothing! And I'd like more wisdom in dealing with my children moment to moment. These are prayers... Lord, I need help!
Anyway, if you've ever been there, you are not alone.
And if you read all that, thanks for listening!
And if you came to Rayna's party - thank you! We love you! Rayna had so much fun and loves her friends. That is one of the things I love about her. Thankfully she doesn't know what a mess her mommy is and I hope the other kiddos had fun, too!
And to get to the real good stuff from Rayna's birthday, see the previous post with lots of pictures from her par-tay. Thank you photographer Sabrina and to both you and Kelly for being my helpers extraordinaire. :)

6 comments:
A. My kids had so much fun!
B. It always seems like things are way worse than they are - you did awesome!
C. I did take some great pictures and I KNOW you were in some!
D. While Luke wasn't his normal self, Rayna was Rayna and Tessa was hungry - I sure love your kids! They really are good kids...
E. ...and you are doing a great job.
F. Speaking of great jobs, that cake was very cool. Not suprised. You always make amazing cakes.
G. Kel, you have craziness going on in life - new baby, selling your house, moving across the WORLD, potty training, UM hello! Give yourself a break my friend!!
I. After a hiatus, I think I am back to being mad at Danny Boy! Ripping my BFF away from me, UGH...
H. I love you and am going to miss you so much!!!! :(
Thankfully, we are all more critical of ourselves than others are! I know this!! Just thought I'd take a stab at some "reality blogging". ;) I just couldn't let anyone look at all those gorgeous photos and be under the false impression that life is perfect over here and I am supermom!!
Thanks for your encouragement... I feel a BETTER week a-brewin'.
You crack me up! The party was fabulous, the house stayed really clean in spite of it all, the kids had a blast, Rayna had a blast (it was her party!) and the adults enjoyed it, too. (I would have enjoyed it more if Connor hadn't pooped his pants and missed half the party, but that's okay.) We were honored to be there! You home is always warm and welcoming, I LOVE your kids and you are ALWAYS a good mommy, even when you don't feel that way!!!
I second what Sabrina said. Plus, did you hear everybody else's kids melting down by the end of the party (my daughter included)? So much fun often equals crazy kids (and crazy moms--at least in my case!) :)
In an effort to uphold the "Truth in Blogging" I have to site the greatest violation ever and that is that I have more than enough bad mommy moments for all of us!! :) It is always easier to see the good in everyone around us and only the bad in ourselves. Kellie, you are such a beautiful woman. Such a devoted and supportive wife and a super funny Mom. Your kids love you.
I was so impressed with the way Rayna gracefully held the seat of birthday girl! Thanks to your awesome shin-dig Rylie is all about the "backayards" and sorted her coloring pages all afternoon and they went into the restaurant with us after church on Sunday.
ps. I am happy to hold little Miss Tessa any chance that I can get!
I am, of course, way behind the curve on this one, but just had to add that I consistently look at you and wish that I felt like I did as good a job with my job as mommy as you do. Your kids are great, and so are you. I wasn't at the party, obviously, but I don't have any doubt that it was a success. You're doing a great job ... I just wish that I had as few days when I lose my patience with my son!
Post a Comment