We are in a hotel in Dallas, done packing our stuff up for the final leg of our trip, and I just couldn't let this moment go by without writing something about it! It's 9:30 p.m., and we have a 5:30 a.m. flight in the morning, which means we'll be leaving here around 3:45 to get to the airport. We are going to have to wrestle all of our luggage (LOTS) and our 3 small children onto a shuttle, then out of the shuttle, then into the airport. Once we manage to get everything checked, we'll still be a couple of pack mules since we have several carry on bags and Dan's guitar...
My goal is just to survive this day.
Just to get on the plane.
Okay first, just to get out of the hotel. One step at a time!
And I can't help but think, "It's finally here!". What we've been preparing for for months now is happening. I am excited that all the prep is over, but I'm still unsure about what waits for us on the other end of this journey. No, I am not excited about moving to Korea. I don't know what at all to expect there or what to be excited about. I hope that once we get there and start living life I will love it. I really do! But for now, I just don't know what life will be like, and that makes me nauseous and anxious - not excited! Plus, I just can't get past the fact that we are about to spend 20 or so hours travelling with the 3 kids. 14 hours on one plane. Once that is over and we can sleep - now that's something to get excited about!
And I know that it will be great if I allow it to be. Although not everything about this move has gone smoothly or according to my plan or comfort level, it is going according to HIS plan. I am seeing first hand that God is working in the details of our lives, and taking care of us! One of my top concerns about moving to Korea was getting housing on base. I am not the kind of adventurous girl who wants to dive into the culture and live off base - I want my little comfort zone of the little American world that is "base". And what do you know... we already have our apartment available and waiting for us! Someone we know over there has been able to get the keys using a power of attorney, get our temporary furniture moved in, and we can go straight from the airport to our apartment. In fact, this is the first night we've spent in a hotel this whole move (we haven't been in our house for 2+ weeks) due to the generosity of wonderful friends!
And we've been seeing God work things out in so many other areas. Dan sold his car this week, at the very last moment. We have friends we knew in MD who are now living in Seoul and want to show us around (awesome!). We sold our house in a week in this crazy market. Thank you, Lord for keeping us under your care, and helping us through this process! It humbles me to know that the God of this universe is concerned about our little family.
Anyway, so another journey begins. And sadly, one ends. I've had a couple really tough goodbyes the last couple days. Sabrina and Kelly, you are incredibly special to me. You guys are there when I need you and truly know me, and have seen me through a lot! I don't know what I'm going to do not being able to see you and your kids... or even talk to you that much because of the time difference. It is painful to think about. But we'll make it work, we have to! And I hope the military crosses our paths again one day.
And all my "Alamo Ranch" girls (even the ones who don't live in Alamo Ranch) - I feel like I was just starting to get to know some of you, and now I'm leaving. But that's often the way in this military life. I love you, and you guys take advantage of the closeness to each other, and the friendships you have with each other. Having a group of girls like that is a precious thing! And update your blogs - I want to hear what's going on over there!
And our dear church family who took us in so quickly and lovingly. Again, I felt like we were just starting to get to know people and now it's time to go! Ugh! But while we were there it was amazing to be part of a body that welcomed us in with open arms and made us feel truly loved. Thank you.
There's so much more I want to write... but time is running out. I have to get some sleep tonight (good luck with that one)! Life is about to change in drastic ways. It's overwhelming!
If you're interested in what's going on with us the next couple years, I intend to become a better blogger! I imagine having more time in Korea, hopefully a simpler life for me (I loved that about Minot!). At least the first few weeks - we won't have any stuff to unpack for quite some time since I don't even think our "stuff" has left the states yet. And luckily the things arriving in Korea will be a fraction of what we moved the last time! Many things trashed, sold, given away or stored. We'll keep you updated and I'll send out forwarding info by email soon.
Bye Texas.
Bye friends.
Bye life as we currently know it.
Hello Osan and hello ?????

4 comments:
Oh Kellie, what a special and precious blog post of your farewell to us here in Texas. We will truly miss you, Dan, and the kiddos. We know God has so much in store for you as you have followed Him so faithfully. Can't wait to hear about your adventures. Love you all. By the way, I love the new blog layout!!
I'm thinking of you and hope you have an adventure of a lifetime, Kellie!
how blessed WE have been to have such great friends!! You are already missed! Rylie was asking if Luke and Rayna would be there as we headed to the pool this afternoon. God is so good and we know He has much in store for you... wherever you call home! Lots of love from the heart of Texas!
Rebecca
I.love.you.
and miss you so much it is ridiculous!
Post a Comment