Here are a couple things we've picked up... one big, one not so big. I figure if we have to be here and all, we better get to take some cool stuff back with us! All I need is a very small excuse to go shopping.
I went with the Officer's Spouses Club to an antique store called Kojeon, about a half hour from here. It's really cool, not what I pictured, huge, with lots of furniture, and lots of smaller decorative stuff here. I've wanted something for our entry way for a long time (not necessarily this entry way, just any entry we happen to have, if we have one at all) and got this table. The lady told us it's from China, and at least 80 years old. So ancient. I like a lot of the painted furniture here, but most of it is really colorful, so I liked that this one was painted but can't be seen from a mile away. The picture doesn't do it justice.
Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to use it to it's full storage potential because the inside of it smells, so I'm afraid to keep anything in it. Any tips for getting a stink out of wood??
And then this little piece of art we picked up while shopping downtown the other night... I liked it because it's a Korean art form, but an American (or whatever) subject. Most of this kind of paper art that I've seen is of Korean people, or dragons, or something like that which is cool but I didn't know where I'd ever put something like that. So thankfully they cater to us Americans and make a good ole Santa with their amazing skills. Again, hard to see with the picture, since it kind of just looks like some pieces of paper cut out and stuck together, but it's not. It's more 3 dimensional.
The kids love it, since even though we haven't necessarily told them Santa's bringing them gifts, they're obviously hearing it somewhere and are getting very excited about Santa coming. Guess they're getting too old to just ignore their Santa talk! Sorry, Santa ain't gettin' no credit for all the shopping I've been doing! But don't worry (you know who you are), we won't spoil the fun!
As a side note, Rayna told me today that for Thanksgiving, she wants "Ratchet". That's a transformer. I had to break it to her that Thanksgiving isn't a gift giving holiday. So for Christmas she wants an Ariel and a transformer. She is a princess-tomboy if I've ever seen one!
There's some other things we got that I'd like to show you, but they're gifts for people who read this blog... so maybe after Christmas!

1 comment:
The chest (or cabinet, or whatever you call it) is really pretty. One thing that can be helpful for odors are dryer sheets. another is newsprint with a little water sprinkled on it. If all else fails you might be able to paint the inside with Kilz... Not what I would consider a fun job. A febreze room freshener might help. I guess I would just start trying things and see what helps. Someone else might have just the right answer!
Post a Comment