1/26/08

You know you're a mommy when...

... it seems like everything in your life revolves around your children's POOP! I never imagined (before having children) that my son would come in the house from the backyard to tell me "Mom, I made a poop on the deck." Uhhh, what?! Of course this is just as the first guests are arriving at our house for our Sat. night Bible study. Ohhh, coooome oooon!

But lets go back a couple weeks, to the good news about our son and his #2. Back in October, we started potty training, and Luke got the hang of #1 pretty quickly. But as for doing #2 in the potty, forget it. He seemed completely terrified, would kick and scream, and REFUSED to go in the potty. Earlier this month, we decided to push the issue and tell him that he was not allowed to go poo in his underwear or pull-up, that he must go in the potty. So he held it, and held it, and held it... that approach didn't work. I bought a couple of poo-poo books to read, which he liked and found entertaining, but it didn't change his outlook on going in the potty.






Then one night, I could tell he had to go, if you know what I mean, so we brought his little potty chair into the kitchen (we were about to have dinner) and made him sit on it. Nothing. When he sits at the table for dinner, he starts squirming around in his seat, trying to hold it, and is saying his tummy hurts. We're telling him all the same things we always do - your tummy will feel better if you go, big boys go on the potty, it's good to go poop! At some point I say, "Luke, do not go in your underwear, you need to get down and go poop on the potty." And he says, "Okay," hops down from the table, sits on the potty and does his business! Um, okay!? The funny part about it is, that after all those months of trying to get him to do it, Dan and I are so excited we're jumping up and down and telling him what a great job he did like he just gave us a million dollars. Of course he is super proud of himself, and since then has been in underwear full time (except at night), doing #1 and #2 on the potty, with very few accidents. Until the last couple of days when he's decided to try going poo other places... don't know what that's about.

If you're still reading, I'm impressed.

Now on to Rayna... she is only 21 months, not ready for potty training, but I think we'll start much sooner with her than with Luke. Anyway, ever since she started eating solid foods, she's had a different poopy problem - constipation. Ugh. This week we could tell it was happening again, she wasn't going very much, not sleeping great, and the biggest clue that something was wrong: she wasn't eating very well. When she wouldn't touch french fries when we were out to dinner with some friends (and had gone several meals just nibbling or not eating at all), I decided to take her in to the dr. After a long morning at the clinic, first explaining everything to a med student, then to the doctor, then going for an x-ray, then back to the doctor to look at the x-ray, it was determined that she was indeed quite clogged up! Poor girl! They prescribed us some medicine to help get everything moving, and suggested some things to add to her diet to help her out on a regular basis.

I felt bad that she had to get an x-ray. They had to lay her on a huge metal table with all these crazy things coming from the ceiling, and strangers in lead coats. I couldn't stay with her b/c I had to sit with Luke out in the hallway because he couldn't be left unattended, and couldn't be in the room. Luckily, she had her blankie (but we lost it at the hospital sometime after that), and the whole process took literally about 20 seconds.

The good part about it was that getting an x-ray elevated her to rock star status in her brother's eyes... his favorite show is Curious George (and so of course it is Rayna's too), and there's an episode where George has to get an x-ray. Luke's been been talking about it all week, saying how Rayna got an x-ray just like Curious George. And I think it makes Rayna feel a little special that her brother is so excited about her x-ray. Luke got to see the picture when it was finished, too, so that was pretty cool.




I'm hoping over the next few weeks we'll have some stories to tell that don't involve poop.

1 comment:

Sab Mad said...

So... when are you having another baby?!?!?
LOL!!