9/9/08

What's For Dinner?

I hate that question!!

I would love to be able to answer it every night with Chipotle, or Pei Wei, or Gringo's, or really anything where I can go, order food, have it cooked and brought to me, leave the mess, and come home to no mess.  My dear friend has established that I am a messy cook...

But, I am not independently wealthy, and do feel the occasional nagging feeling that my family should get a yummy home cooked meal every once in a while.  I think, "I'm a stay at home mom, I should be able to get dinner on the table on a regular basis.  Really, Kellie, is that so hard?"
Well apparently it is!  I really stink at it and don't enjoy it.  At the end of the day my kids are not interested in staying out of my hair so I can make dinner, then after everyone eats it in 5 minutes there's the mess to deal with.  Ugh.

But a few months ago,  friend Sabrina and I started a quest to do some freezer cooking.  That is, make a bunch of meals we can store in our freezer, ready for quick prep, and yummy to eat.  It has been great, and we just had another massive cooking day so my freezer is all stocked up again.  And we are getting ready to have a meal swap with 5 other girls.  We will each make 1 freezer friendly meal 6 times, and trade with each other.  Can't wait to taste everyone else's yummy dinners!

I am loving this freezer cooking for a few reasons - There is hardly any clean up when making the dinners - all the prep has been done!  It's usually just a pan to cook the food, and the plates we eat it on.  Also, the fact that I don't have to make dinner every night makes it so that sometimes I actually want to.  Not everything freezes well, so I can make those kind of meals whenever we get tired of what's in the freezer.  :)  And then if I do make something I can just make it x2 and stick one in the freezer.

Here's a couple books we've used that have some great recipes (I know there's dozens of others).



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've still never tried freezer meals, although I've meant to for more than 1/2 a year! I really should do that sometimes because I despise cooking dinner, too. Especially having to come back to doing it after having 2 weeks of being served dinner at my parents' house:-)