1/28/09

The "Stuff"

Isn't it funny how kids pick up on the smallest things you say?  Luke and Rayna each have 3 little lovies that they sleep with every night... a little blankie, and stuffed monkey, and a stuffed dog.  I'm sure at some point I asked them to "go get their bedtime stuff", and now, that is the name for these 3 little things.  As in... "Mommy, where's my stuff?" or "I want to bring my stuff".  Sometimes Rayna wants to "put her stuff night night" meaning that she wants her monkey and doggie side by side covered up by her blankie.  I realize no one else would have any idea what they're talking about when they talk about their stuff!  But it's now part of our family language.

I have been wanting some similar little lovies for our new baby to come, and found a little snuggle blankie, and also a little stuffed hippo similar to the animals the kids have.  Luke cracked us up when we were talking about these things (he helped us pick out the animal).  "But Mommy, baby sister only has 2 stuff, and she needs 3 stuff like us!"  He was very serious and in disbelief that we would let this atrocity happen... only 2 stuff... the injustice!
Today the kids wanted to bring their stuff in the car on the way to school... this of course is a downhill slide, because then they wanted to bring their stuff in to school.  No way - these things are like gold, and we will not risk losing them at school!!  So instead I convinced them that they could tuck in their "stuff" in their carseats, and they would take a nap all day while they were at school.  I got to drive around all day with a monkey, doggie, and blankie in each car seat, sweet little reminders of my cute little kids!

Now on to get the 3rd piece of stuff for baby sister...  she better like it!

No comments: