I just needed a couple of you who know me well to laugh with me about this. To really laugh at me, with me, at the face you could imagine me to have had when someone gave me a bag of dried seaweed. "Wow, um, thank you so much!"
My Korean language teacher brought it to our class this week, one for each of the "students" (I use that term lightly, man it's been a while since I've been in school). The Korean ladies who volunteer their time to help us learn their language are really so sweet. These free classes are at the Korean chapel on base, and the lady who's been teaching our little group is the wife of a guy in the Republic of Korea Air Force. It's a great connection. Anyway, on Wednesday, she pulled something out of her bag and handed one to each of us; giving us something common in Korea, a piece of the culture. Seaweed. Um, wow, you shouldn't have!
"So, what do you do with it, exactly?" The two Korean women teaching us then explained how we should prepare it. Their English is really good, but not perfect. My understanding of seaweed preparation is still poor. Some combination of rinsing, soaking, boiling, cutting up into pieces and using in stir fry or soup. After the explanation, they asked, "Do you understand?" I said, not really. They looked at me like: How could you not understand? It's so simple and obvious. My 3 year old could whip up seaweed stew in her sleep. The whole thing was making me laugh internally, especially with my friend sitting next to me being sincerely enthusiastic about her seaweed gift. She's had it before and told me it's kind of like spinach. Apparently it's very healthy. She's very excited to make it for her grown kids who are coming to visit soon. So I'll have to give it a whirl - put a little bit of it in something that will disguise it.
Oops, did I just say that?
I'll let you know how it goes. If it goes.


2 comments:
How about a seaweed quiche (in place of spinach) Or maybe seaweed brownies...people do it with other green plants, why not seaweed?
When Daniel was in the gifted program in elementary school we had a field trip to a pretty far out health food store. One of the things that we sampled was kelp made into a dip. Not one of the better tasting things I have eaten. Kelp reminds me of being a kid on the Pacific coast and seeing tons of the green slimy stuff. Not something I ever wanted to eat!
Post a Comment