2/8/10

A Happy Place...

... called Happy Quilt!
This is the reason I haven't been blogging much. I went to this fabric warehouse-y place and now have all kinds of ideas for different projects I must do. Now.
It started with wanting to find some fabric to make curtains. I was getting tired of this living room with the oh-so-attractive vertical blinds. I've heard that fabric is cheap here, so I thought Well, if I can get it cheap, then what's the harm? Then I started looking online for patterns to make simple (because I've never really sewn clothes) summer dresses for the girls. The internet is a crazy place, and I start clicking on one thing and another, and pretty soon I want to make a little purse for myself too. And sofa pillows. And placemats. You get the idea.

But let me tell you, this is the place to come up with some sewing projects:

Photobucket
Here is Happy Quilt.
A large one room warehouse, with no heat. It was about 20 degrees the day we went shopping. And probably colder "inside" because of the lack of sun. On the plus side, it makes the decision making process a LOT faster. You don't sit around hemming and hawing too much when your fingers are about to fall off. Which may have contributed to the fabric choice I made for curtains. Dan said, "Well, no one else will have curtains like that!"
Photobucket
Piles and piles and piles and stacks of mostly cotton fabric. Those neat little pieces of fabric sitting like books in the middle are 2 yard increments, ready to go. Flipping through those was when my fingers started to freeze big time. It was hard to do with gloves on. And yes, the prices were very reasonable - 2-5,000 won a yard (5,000 won is less than $5.00). Considering that I think I paid $10-12/yard for the fabric I made curtains with in San Antonio (decorator fabric on super duper sale), that's pretty good.
Photobucket

Photobucket
So here's what I got (above).
And below is what I made for our table for Valentine's Day. I love seasonal placemats! Don't think I won't be back there every holiday to make more. :)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Hopefully more projects will be revealed soon! I have finished the curtains, but don't have the curtain rods yet. I had to order them online, since the BX doesn't carry a curtain rod long enough to go over our sliding glass door, and I was too lazy to get out to Emart or something (I think I've seen them there). I'm also waiting on the USPS to deliver some little things like thread that I had to order, since this place only had fabric, and I don't have time to figure out where to get the other stuff. Sometimes I definitely miss the one-stop-shopping of Target or Walmart. When you only have 2 hours sans kids, it is nice to be able to go get your oil changed, and while you're waiting pick up some milk, a picture frame, potting soil, socks, and a birthday cake all in the same place!

5 comments:

matt n karisa said...

I'm excited to see your curtains! And if the curtain rod thing doesn't pan out, buy 2 from the BX--you should be able to splice them (Kirsten had to do that in their Minot house to get across that long front-room window). Happy sewing!

LaRee said...

the placemats are great! You have done a nice job on everything that I have seen you make, and clothes are not difficult when you know how to use your machine. I'm excited that you have a new "project" that will give you such satisfaction. I'm about to get enough done in the house to think about sewing projects again.

Phebe said...

Cute placemats ... can't wait to see the curtains!!

fiddlin.momma said...

oh my what fun! i just recently discovered crochet and have been equally obsessive about cheap yarn shops and online pattern ideas. we'll have to share our products (if i would just get my act together and start blogging again!!!)

Kellie said...

Tara - I didn't know you blogged! Please start again, I will read! And Karisa, the splicing may happen - says my curtain rod shipped but it's still NOT HERE. Thanks for the idea!