I took pictures of the heavenly mega-fabric/craft shopping center, Dongdaemun, the last time I got to go... The size is hard to describe... several floors of rows and rows of little cubicle shops. Mostly, like items are grouped together. Like if you're looking for buttons, there will be dozens of button "shops" in the same general area. And the prices are amazing, compared to shopping at JoAnn's or something. A $3.00 magnetic snap (at JoAnn's) is about 10 cents here. But the shopping is very different. Like forget the pretty packaging and nice spacious store layout. And get quite used to people walking around you and into you as if personal space does not exist. Oh wait, it doesn't here! I have to stop myself from saying "sorry" or "excuse me" everytime I bump into someone (or they bump into me). 1) They may not understand me anyway and 2) if they do understand me they don't understand why I'm saying sorry.Anyway... here's how you'll find many things, like the zippers hanging from the side of this table, although this guy's place is especially messy.
Need some ribbon?
In the picture below you can kind of see how the little "shops" are laid out in a grid pattern. It seems endless, and if I weren't with people who knew where they were going, I might never find my way out of the place!

Jewelry making supplies:
Of course, FABRIC!!
And then there's lunch. Below is what I ate. Bimimbap, a traditional Korean dish. Can I just say that a year ago, this bowl of food would have looked to me to be something straight out of Fear Factor? And although it still kind of does, I ate it all. I was so hungry from all the walking around that place! Bimimbap is basically a mixture of rice, vegetables, in this one - seaweed, and a raw egg. The bowl is literally sizzling hot so you stir it all up and the egg cooks. And then the little sides - different kimchi-ed veggies, like radish, some kind of bean, and cucumbers (I think). I skipped the squid.
I have had bimimbap that I liked better than this one, and some yummy Korean barbecue where they cooked the meat at our table. But in general, I will not be seeking out Korean food after we're gone from here. However, I love the Thai food that we've had here. De-li-cious!
Coming soon: hopefully a post or two about the things I've been making with all of my crafty treasures!








8 comments:
The buttons I might be able to deal with because they were at least sorted by color...the zippers, however, might have pricked my OCD tendencies enough for me to have a meltdown.
Wow. I am not sure what leaves me more in awe- the amazing selection of buttons and sewing items or that you ate that for lunch and sound pretty upbeat about it. That's it. You're my official hero Kellie!
I would love to able to experience that with you! It makes me want to sew again, but here the price of everything to make a garment makes is cost as much as buying one! My mother would have thought she was in heaven had she gotten to go someplace with that kind of supplies at those prices. but, since she is in heaven I don't guess she is missing it at all. :)
I want to come shopping with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't get over lunch, totally fear factor for me! I think I would have packed a sandwhich and stuck it in my purse.
Brandi - next time I might do that! Or just build in time to go somewhere else. :) Karisa - this whole country would do you in on the OCD thing!!
Kellie- next time you head to Dongdaemun let me know!! I'd LOVE to go again... but have a fear of going by myself. I'm in need of zippers again!
Post a Comment